Effective June 1, 2021, Duke schools, departments and units may host events, activities and performances on and off campus, including meetings of faculty, staff, students and invited guests, without prior approval as long as they observe current Centers for Disease Control and State of North Carolina guidelines for capacity. Food and drink will be permitted subject to state and local regulations. Updated guidelines can be found at https://www.nc.gov/covid-19/staying-ahead-curve.
Please follow these guidelines during all events:
- Masks or cloth face coverings are required in all Duke-owned or leased properties indoors and outdoors, unless walking outdoors alone, exercising outdoors alone, or eating/drinking alone.
- Indoor group seating at Duke Dining facilities will be temporarily suspended. All Duke Dining facilities will transition to grab and go, and more than 25 tents have been erected across the campus to provide outdoor seating for meals and other gatherings.
- Food should not be served or provided at indoor meetings, events, conferences and other gatherings, unless an outside eating option is made available.
- If eating indoors, remain masked at all times except when actively eating and drinking. Maintain at least 6′ distance and face away from others while eating.
- Be aware of surroundings in the environment, especially indoors, when deciding where to sit while you eat. Facing away from others while eating is encouraged.
- Remember to practice good hygiene before eating, including washing or sanitizing your hands thoroughly.
This guidance only applies to Duke-hosted activities. Outside organizations cannot hold events on the Duke campus without prior approval from the Office of Public Affairs and Government Relations.
Sponsors of events or gatherings on campus should strongly encourage all attendees to be vaccinated, and as previously announced, masks are required inside on-campus buildings. Access to all campus buildings will continue to be limited to those with active DukeCards. Daily symptom monitoring is still required by members of the Duke community to activate their DukeCard for building access.
See the full message sent to the Duke faculty and staff on May 10 here.
Please see the Duke Events Calendar for current listing of events.