Duke schools, departments and units may host events, activities and performances on and off campus, including meetings of faculty, staff, students and invited guests, without prior approval as long as they observe current Centers for Disease Control and State of North Carolina guidelines for capacity. Food and drink will be permitted subject to state and local regulations. Updated guidelines can be found at https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/guidance#businesses.
Please follow these guidelines during all events:
- All attendees (employees, students and their guests) should be vaccinated.
- Outdoor events and gatherings present a much lower risk for COVID transmission, especially if serving food.
- No individuals should be required or expected to attend a reception, party or gathering. We should recognize that some of our colleagues have family or health concerns and will choose not to participate.
- Masking is still required on Duke buses and vans and clinical settings.
- Masking remains one of the most effective ways to protect yourself and others, especially in indoor settings. We should respect an individual’s decision to wear a mask even if it is not required.
This guidance only applies to Duke-hosted activities. Outside organizations cannot hold events on the Duke campus without prior approval from the Office of Public Affairs and Government Relations.
Sponsors of events or gatherings on campus should strongly encourage all attendees to be vaccinated.